Smart TV Solution Overview
Powerful HTML5 and WebKit TV Browser Provides Rich, Interactive User Experience
Smart TV manufacturers are under increasing pressure from consumers and content providers to bring to market engaging large screen devices that match the flexibility and personalization of the Internet content experience that has taken the tablet and mobile world to new heights. TV displays have now reached sizes where additional screen real-estate is of limited consumer appeal and improvements in resolution and color reproduction add only incremental perceived value. Furthermore, viewing habits have changed. Consumers are now presented with many new ways to discover, consume, and engage with video. With these new options, consumers are discovering content to be more interactive, more personal, constantly available, and a great deal more engaging. According to global researcher comScore, 181 million U.S. consumers watched approximately 40 billion Internet videos in January 2012 alone.
As well, Pay-TV operators, broadcasters, and OTT video providers are all targeting an increasingly rich TV user experience. There is a growing need to deliver an engaging, immersive experience that offers broad access to web video, broadcast video, and on-demand programming blended with social media and web. TV manufacturers must consider these rapidly emerging trends as they plan, design, and ship the newest Smart TVs. More than ever, the Smart TV must provide the processing capability and software platform to support consumers across the globe who have more options than ever before for consuming video and Web content.
Smart TV manufacturers must look at a wide range of factors when they plan their product strategy including: new and emerging global and regional standards; providing consumers with a rich blend of video content, social media, and Web browsing; and supporting consumers’ choices for broadcast, pay-TV, and OTT content. To do this, they require a browser with support for global and regional standards including HbbTV, BML, RDK, W3C, Hybridcast, and others.
Smart TV manufacturers must work with a leadingTV browser supplier who can help them to attract consumers and increase market share, deliver on-demand, interactive content, and launch faster to market .
Espial Smart TV Solution Overview
The Espial TV Browser accelerates the deployment of TV Web browsing, interactive TV content, and over-the-top Web video to your customers. Based on WebKit and HTML5, it is an embedded Web browser designed to support the challenging browsing requirements of Connected TV’s, STBs, and Digital Media Devices. It is easily ported across devices and offers the latest and most advanced W3C web standards support. End-users will enjoy a compelling internet Web browsing experience while manufacturers and developers can simply and quickly build customized user interfaces that deliver exciting, interactive applications, and compelling content to consumers. It supports a wide range of end-user applications including open Web browsing, product menus, social media, interactive advertising, email, chat, games, and portals.
- Application Software – Architected for quick and easy UI design, Espial software enables a full range of applications. This includes on-screen display for menu screens, settings, status indicators, electronic program guides, broadcast and streamed video content, Video On Demand, HTML portal, and photo viewers
- User Interface Toolkit – Provides user interface components extending the customizable look and feel to all applications including those developed by third parties and provisioned dynamically to the home media center
- Application Management Framework - A comprehensive and dynamic application management environment for management of application components, integration of new applications within a standards based OSGI framework, and extension of device capability for sharing of media and information across other home and mobile network devices independent of protocol/transport (uPnP, 802.11, etc.)
- Integration Services – Espial’s leadership position and pedigree in the TV market has given us the experience to develop, integrate and validate resource-friendly embedded platforms in a cost-effective manner. Our expertise can assist you with everything from architecture to design to creation and delivery of services.
- Launch Faster to Market - Espial client device technology has been deployed to over 2 million consumers with over 100 design wins proving it is a robust, mature technology that will reduce project risks and failures. With a well defined porting SDK, Espial software can scale to a variety of platforms, chipsets, and operating systems, while integrating with 3rd party software and hardware pieces effectively React rapidly to market changes